Pages

Wednesday

The Lights of Long Ago

First, an update from yesterday:


While I still stand by what I wrote, it can also be noted that yesterday was a very bad day, especially to be asking about Hope. The weight of all the life change hit a high level yesterday and seemed crushing in its force. 
So last night, as dinner was microwaving (yes, that's how I roll), I turned off the lights, opened my laptop to the Advent reading on Hope, and began reading to B. He lit the first purple candle as we read. 


"As the cry pierced the stillness, God’s light pierced the darkness, and we see that light as we light each candle." 






Tears flooded my eyes as I thought about that whisper of a candle flame, flickering intently, offering Hope. I thought about that time, when the Jewish people must have doubted every promise God ever gave them, as they saw the Romans take their land, and devalue their way of life. And just when it seemed to be over, a whisper of something in the wind changed everything. 

Isaiah 7:14 “Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel.”

I was wrong when I said that I have found Hope in Community, or rather, incomplete. I have found Hope in the promises of God and the Messiah who lives, and also among His people. My people are here, somewhere. And when I find them, I'll be sure to let them know the hope that they carry with them. 

(Read the whole Advent entry we're reading here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it friendly, positive and encouraging, please!