Pages

Monday

Dinner 6/27

Tuscan Salmon with Orzo
(via epicurious.com)

When Bear and I were dating, he told me--on several occasions--that he didn't eat "anything that used to swim". But on our honeymoon, he tried (and liked!) several dishes, from red snapper to shrimp. I decided to try again, telling him salmon was one of our week's meals. He surprised me by asking for it tonight. (Maybe he was just trying to get it out of the way?)

Either way, I loved this dish. The onion and rosemary flavored the orzo well, leaving it a crisp contrast to the salmon and tomato topping. I added my favorite spinach to the plate as well, just to beef up the nutrients.

I sort of halved the recipe, using just two salmon fillets, but making a large amount of orzo to have leftovers. Several comments on the site mention using more herbs than the recipe called for. And I used dried herbs rather than fresh. Because you know, sometimes your imaginary herb garden just isn't producing like it should.


ingredients
6 oz orzo
2 t olive oil
1 1/2 cups onion, divided
1 T fresh chopped rosemary
4 salmon fillets, skin on
1/4 cup plus 1 t fresh basil
1/4 t salt
black pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 pint grape tomatoes 
(Note: I used regular garden tomatoes, freshly picked from our neighbor's garden)
1/4 c pitted kalamata olives, sliced
2 T fresh parsley


preparation
Cook orzo as directed until al dente.

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook 1/2 c onion and rosemary until onion softens, about 9 minutes. Combine with drained orzo. 

Season salmon with 1 t basil, salt and pepper. Heat the same skillet over medium-high heat. Cook salmon until golden, 5-ish min per side, flesh side down first. 

Set aside. 

Add garlic and remaining onion to skillet. Cook until soft, about 2 min. 

Add tomatoes and olives, cook until tomatoes break up, about 3 min. Remove skillet from heat, stir in remaining basil and parsley. 

Realize you forgot the olives. Tell your husband, who states that he hates olives. Realize trying fish is a big step for him and don't press your luck. 
Sorry, olives.

While the onions/tomatoes did their thing, I whipped up my super easy spinach. I used to think I HATED spinach, but realized after trying this recipe that I just hate canned spinach. There is a big difference. I call this garlic braised spinach. That's probably not right, but it sounds good, huh?

Heat some olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add 2 cloves of chopped garlic. 

Add several handfuls of spinach, piling up over the skillet. It will cook down. 

Stir, making sure all the spinach cooks evenly, until it's significantly wilted, about 5 minutes. 


Voila! A fish the Mr. will actually eat! 

4 comments:

  1. I like the new foodie spin on the blog. I love new recipe ideas, so thanks!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I'm hoping to make it food and style, but I'm still waiting for the style to show up. Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I love salmon and tomatoes, so nutritious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was really good! I think it might be good with quinoa as well, which would really make it a superfood meal!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it friendly, positive and encouraging, please!