Banana Curry Chicken with Black Beans and Rice
Who needs a rice cooker? :)
1 (16 oz) can black beans
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic
Cardamon to taste (I used 1T)
Cayenne to taste (I used 1T)
Salt (about 1/4 t)
Handful of raw spinach
Juice of 1/2 lime
1. Combine black beans (don't drain them), onion and garlic in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and add cardamon, cayenne and salt
3. Simmer for 3 minutes, then add spinach & lime juice and stir
4. Continue simmering an additional 3 minutes and serve.
Banana Curry Chicken
(recipe from Weight Watchers' "Everyone Loves Chicken")
2 ripe bananas, cut up
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 T curry powder
2 teaspoons canola oil
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
4 (1/2 lb.) bone-in chicken breast halves
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Using a food processor or hand mixer, puree the bananas, water, yogurt, curry, oil, salt and pepper.
3. Place the chicken in the baking dish. Pour the curry mixture over the chicken. Bake until a thermometer inserted in meat registers 170 degrees, or for about 30-35 minutes.
4. Serve the chicken, spooning the thick banana sauce over it. (It can be thinned with water, if you'd like.)
We just got opened our new dishes from West Elm. I'm kind of in love with them.
The final result was some SPICY beans and a chicken that had a subtle spice and sweetness from the banana. Overall, a very Caribbean meal, and a great way for us to celebrate!