Pages

Tuesday

Recipe: Bang Bang Shrimp

I love seafood, but as my husband says, he doesn't eat "anything that used to swim". I told him that in the New Year, I'm trying new recipes, including some seafood, and it's ok if he doesn't like it. He agreed to try them. This, other than hibachi shrimp, was the first kind my husband didn't hate!

This recipe is a hybrid of the Dynamite Shrimp at P. F. Chang's and the Bang Bang Shrimp at Bonefish Grill. I served it with the sauce on the side, edamame and brown rice. So good!

I liked that the cornstarch made for a light, yet crunchy breading. I hate fried shrimp that's heavy and greasy. And the sauce was pretty hot, which we like, but it would be easy to cut the Sriracha in order to curb the spice. 


Bang Bang Shrimp
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 c cornstarch
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
salt & pepper

oil for frying

sauce:
1/2 c mayonnaise
4-5 t Sriracha
1 t rice vinegar
1 t sugar

1. Mix cornstarch with onion powder, garlic powder and salt & pepper.
2. Dredge the shrimp in the cornstarch mixture, making sure each one is fully covered.
3. Place coated shrimp in bowl and refrigerate for about 20 min, which will help breading stick to shrimp when frying better.
4.  Heat oil to 350 degrees in pan. You'll want about 3 inches of oil.
5. Working in 2-3 batches, fry the shrimp for about 2-3 minutes per batch.
6. Drain the shimp on a papertowel covered plate. 
7. In another bowl, mix up the items for the sauce, and mix the drained shrimp in with it. 

I skipped this last step in case the husband didn't like the sauce and/or shrimp, so he had more control over the meal. We just dipped the shrimp into the sauce, which was pretty tasty!